Dog treats are a wonderful way to train your dog or show them how much you care. However, not all treats are created equal. Some store-bought treats can be unhealthy or even dangerous for your pet.

A general practice veterinarian like Dr. Hunter Finn can provide helpful information and resources on choosing treats for your furry friend in McKinney, TX. Read more information on what to avoid below.

And if your dog needs immediate medical attention due to an unsafe treat, know that Pet Method does offer urgent and emergency care services for pups in the area. Contact us, so we can address the issue right away.

1. Chicken jerky

Jerky treats are a favorite among dogs, but some chicken jerky products have been linked to illnesses like urinary tract disease. This condition can cause problems, such as:

  • Bloody and/or cloudy urine
  • Straining during urination
  • Accidents in the house
  • The need to urinate more frequently

If you give your dog chicken jerky, make sure to buy from a reputable source and avoid those made in China.

2. Bones and antlers

Bones and antlers last a long time because they’re dense and hard. Unfortunately, this also means they can break your dog’s teeth or cause gastrointestinal issues if swallowed. Perforations are another serious complication associated with these products. It’s best to avoid giving your dog bones or antlers as treats.

3. Rawhide

Rawhide is another tasty dog treat, but it can be dangerous if not used properly. The double-layered knots are super difficult to swallow and digest. If your dog does swallow a large chunk, it could cause an intestinal blockage. Avoid giving your dog rawhide if possible.

Signs of an intestinal blockage include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Straining or unable to poop
  • Aggressive behavior when the abdomen is touched (abdominal pain or bloating)

If you think your dog may have an intestinal blockage, contact Pet Method in McKinney, TX for emergency care.

4. Pig ears

Giving your dog a pig ear might seem like a good way to show affection, but these greasy treats can lead to gastrointestinal problems like diarrhea and pancreatitis. This is more likely to occur if your furry friend has a small or sensitive stomach. If you decide to provide this dog treat, make sure to monitor their consumption and discuss any potential risks with your veterinarian beforehand.

5. Hooves

Hooves are another favorite treat for many dogs because they’re so durable. However, they can be dangerous. The hard surface can easily crack or break your dog’s teeth, and the sharp edges can cut their gums. Pet parents should check with their veterinarian before giving their dog a hoof treat and monitor their dental health closely.

6. Dental products without the VOHC seal of approval

Dental chews can keep your dog’s teeth clean, but not all products on the market are effective. The Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC) seal of approval is only given to products that have been scientifically proven to reduce harmful plaque and tartar buildup. The VOHC seal can be found right on the package or on the company’s website.

Buying safe treats at the pet store

The pet store is a fun place to explore with your pet, but be cautious when choosing treats. Some products are dangerous for our furry friends. If you have questions about which treats are best for your dog, reach out for an appointment with Dr. Hunter Finn in McKinney, TX. Call Pet Method for urgent or emergency care if your dog exhibits signs of illness or gastrointestinal issues after consuming a treat.